Advertisement

title-icon

Few People Know How To Recognize The Deadly Symptoms Of A Caffeine Overdose

Advertisement

We all gets the jitters from coffee occasionally, but did you know it’s actually possible to have a caffeine overdose?

Tragically, the topic of caffeine overdose is on a lot of people’s minds at the moment, after the devastating death of a teen from South Carolina this past week.

Davis Allen Cripe, just 16 years old, passed away from a cardiac event after consuming several caffeinated drinks in just a few hours, according to CNN.

The high school student drank a caffe latte, a large iced Mountain Dew, and an energy drink during a two-hour period before suffering a cardiac arrhythmia at school. He was pronounced dead just an hour later.

Davis’s tragic death sheds a light on a problem that many parents and teens aren’t aware of.

Davis’s parent want their loss to help educate other parents about the serious dangers of caffeine overdose.

There’s a huge difference between one cup of coffee and a dangerous amount of caffeine, but it’s important that everyone know the signs.

Thumbnail: Flickr / Flickr

What Is Caffeine?1/10

< > <u>What Is Caffeine?</u>

Caffeine is a naturally-occurring stimulant and psychoactive substance that is produced by lots of plants.

Technically, it is a drug, but a thoroughly legal one.

Probably the two most famous examples of caffeine-producing plants are the coffee bean and the tea leaf, which are both products of caffeine-producing plants that are enjoyed by humans worldwide.

According to the New York Times, people worldwide drink roughly 26,000 cups of coffee per second!

Laura Caseley for LittleThings

What do you think?